- Bandwith FAQ's
- Will I be able to stream Netflix with a 512Kbps connection? Yes, but it is not recommended. The video quality is very poor and depending on the movie size, it could take up to 15 minutes to buffer. Netflix automatically adjusts the video quality of their movies in relation to your Internet speeds. Netflix rates video quality on a scale of 1-4, 512Kbps gets a rating of 2.
- What is the recommended internet speed to be able to stream Netflix without any tilling or other issues? At minimum, you will want to have a 1.5Mb connection. At these speeds, the video quality is fair, but not great. On the Netflix scale, 1.5Mb gets a rating of 3. You will be able to stream movies with hardly any buffer time. Ultimately, it is recommended to have a 3Mb or faster internet connection, at these speeds you will have no buffer issues and the video quality will be regular SD quality. Netflix rates a 3Mb or higher connection at its highest quality of 4.
- NOTE: FOR STREAMING HD QUALITY MOVIES, AT LEAST A 5Mb CONNECTION IS REQUIRED BY NETFLIX.
- First things first… There’s the modest issue of using that special Netflix disc. If users need to get the disc on their own, the easiest site to obtain the disc is located here: http://www.netflix.com/NRD/PS3. The disc usually arrives within a few days of requesting it, and comes to your mailbox in a typical Netflix snail mail red envelope. Be aware of this envelope because it (and the red disc sleeve) contains instructions on what to do next. You’ll want to keep that protective disc sleeve handy, as this is one disc you won’t be returning to Netflix… and, yes— if lost, broken, etc. it can be replaced.
- The disc is required to access Netflix via the PS3 through the BD-Live network that most Blu-ray discs still have yet to fully exploit. Once you receive the disc, you’ll need to activate it via your Netflix account, but otherwise you’ll just load the disc as you would any DVD/BD disc. Users can access the Netflix icon that will appear under Video in the PlayStation’s XMB menu if the disc doesn’t start-up the moment it’s slipped into the PS3, but that’s about it for set-up. First, you put the disc in your PS3 and a code will be provided.
Next, sign into your account at
www.nexflix.com and enter the code to activate your streaming disc.
- Once you have created and logged into your account, you can use the netflix website to choose or browse through movies or tv shows you are interested in watching, you can also add them to your instant queue from here.
The disc will spin, access BD-Live through your PS3’s Internet capability and show a bright red Netflix splash screen before the Instant Watch menu comes up. The menu, you’ll note, is in HD, but the selections from Netflix vary and can be either SD or HD quality. Menu selections can include Recently Watched, New Arrivals, Drama, Horror, Romance, Television— the usual range of categories— but users will notice that these selections will change depending on what you add to your queue, watch and rate and are updated frequently.
- If at anytime you get out of the Netflix application, you can always re-load the app by going through the PS3 settings, choosing Video then choose Netflix Instant Streamning Disc.
Once you’ve made a selection for viewing, the title will load and buffer, but from their operating the Instant Watch system is much like operating a DVR… you can pause, fast-forward and reverse through the selection as it plays, with an onscreen scene breakdown and timeline making it easy to navigate to and from. HD content, of which there is an increasing amount, is of much better quality, though it still suffers from some digital issues during scene transitions. The quality is generally up to 720p, and it helps to set your PS3 to a comparable resolution for playback.
Back to Top of Page
The Netflix application has been downloaded by more than a million Xbox LIVE Gold members whohave combined to watch billionsof minute’s worth of movies and TV episodesstreamed instantly over XboxLIVE.
Check out these new features:
- Netflix Instant Queue - For the first time on any device you can update your Netflix instant Queue right from your television – no computer necessary.
- Party Watch - Catch a show with your friends! Bring your party into Netflix and watch a movie or TV show together. (Feature available with supported titles.)
- Find Content Faster - Browse through New Releases and other genre lists based on the types of shows you've previously watched, all from the comfort of your couch.
- Improved Playback Experience - Improvements have been made to ensure a better experience when adapting to changing network conditions.
- Improved Presence - Richer information is now displayed in the Friends channel and in the Guide showing what you and your friends are watching.
- Interact, Play, and Enjoy - Xbox 360 lets you instantly watch movies and TV episodes streamed from Netflix. This movie-watching innovation is available to Xbox LIVE® Gold members who are also Netflix members and allows them to instantly watch movies streamed fromNetflix via Xbox LIVE for no additional monthly fee.
- Xbox live gold account – Either sign up online at Microsoft’s website, or log into your Xbox Dashboard and create an Xbox Live Gold Account. You must have a gold account to be able to stream.
- Become a Netflix Member - With Netflix you can rent as many DVDs as you want and instantly watch movies (some new releases) & TV episodes (including current season) on your Xbox 360 Console for one low price (depending on the package you choose). There are no late fees or due dates-ever! To sign up for Netflix, you must visit their website. www.netflix.com
- Retrieve Activation Code - Once you have upgraded to Gold, download the Netflix application on your Xbox 360 console under the Video and Marketplace section in the dashboard and retrieve your activation code. To download the app, from the dashboard click on the Video and Marketplace icon, you will then see an option for Netflix. As soon as Netflix has been loaded on your Xbox 360, a screen will pop up asking for your activation code, to get this visit www.netflix.com/activate
- Enter Activation Code – Follow the instructions on your screen to complete the activation of Netflix. Enter the code exactly how you see it on your TV onto the Netflix website, you will have 60 minutes to enter this code or you will not be able to successfully activate Netflix.Once you’ve made a selection for viewing, the title will load and buffer, but from their operating the Instant Watch system is much like operating a DVR… you can pause, fast-forward and reverse through the selection as it plays, with an onscreen scene breakdown and timeline making it easy to navigate to and fro. HD content, of which there is an increasing amount, is of much better quality, though it still suffers from some digital issues during scene transitions.
Once activated, you can now view the entire Netflix Instant Library.
- Menu selections can include Recently Watched, New Arrivals, Drama, Horror, Romance, Television— the usual range of categories— but users will notice that these selections will change depending on what you add to your queue, watch and rate and are updated frequently.
- Once you have selected the show you wish you watch, you are now ready to view the show. If you have already previous started to watch this show, you can resume it from the last spot you stopped watching, or you can choose to watch the movie from the beginning.
Back to Top of Page